May 29, 2020
Donate Because All Black People's Lives Are Important
Donor dollars are very important to Black CAP and they allow us to support program areas that our funders do not typically support. Without your support we would be unable to provide a range of important programs and services to Black, African and Caribbean people living in Toronto. With more than 3,000 Black people living with AIDS in Ontario and the majority of them living in Toronto we depend on your support.
Donors help Black CAP in a number of ways, including:
Emergency Financial Assistance
- Our Emergency Financial Assistance (EFA) Program supports people living with HIV and AIDS (PHAs) at moments of financial hardship. This program supports costs such as utility bills, treatment costs, transportation, immigration expenses and other costs that are hard to cover.
- For instance our EFA has helped a young mother who is living on the Ontario Disability Support Program (ODSP) when she runs out of money for groceries at the end of the month. She comes to the agency and tells our support staff that she has no food left in the house and is out of baby formula. Black CAP’s EFA program provides the young mom with a cheque for $100 to cover end of month costs and a food voucher for $50 to buy some much needed food.
- Every year Black CAP provides about $10K in EFA support to our clients, however the demand for these dollars continues to increase as the number of our clients grow. As one client tells us, “I’ve had to use the EFA program when all of my other options have run out, without it I could have ended up on the street or hungry”.
- This program is important because PHAs are a group that often faces exceptional financial hardships due to barriers to employment, migration status, dependence on income assistance programs, and expensive treatments.
- Programming for people living with HIV and AIDS
- Black CAP delivers a range of direct programming for people living with HIV/AIDS (PHAs)
Donate to help the Black Coalition for AIDS Prevention